Sunday, July 23, 2017

Does Kindness affect your health?









I didn't realize that day would start a new tradition. Every spring the weather is so beautiful here in St George you cant resist going outside. So many people are out on the walking trails. I decided this would be the perfect time to do this random act of kindness.
I leave the basket there for 3-4 days and every year I can hardly wait to go pick it up. This year was no exception. So many people participated. I have read so many great quotes and pieces of advice over the years, I could probably write a book. I think my favorite this time around was "Strong people don't put other down, They lift them up." Thanks for being strong.

So here's the best part....
Did you know that people who are kind produce 23% less cortisol (the stress hormone) and age slower than the average population? It’s true. Engaging in acts of kindness actually lowers blood pressure, reduces stress and even releases feel good hormones Serotonin and Oxytocin. So even when you are helping others you are also helping yourself.




You can start your own traditions:

Here are a few simple ideas.
  • Always carry an umbrella in the trunk of your car for someone that could really use it.
  • Pay the bill for the car behind you at a toll booth or a drive-thru restaurant.
  • Talk to someone waiting in line with you. Be courageous next time you get an inner feeling urging you to start a conversation with someone. Some people feel alone a lot and you could  be one of the only people that talks or interacts with them.
  • SMILE- This is one of my favorites. When I was little, My mom bought me a shirt that said Keep Smiling! When she gave it to me she said this was one of the strongest communication skills and it's so important because it allows others to see your beauty within. Well I really took it to heart. At 1st it was everytime I wore the shirt because it would remind me, but then it became a habit. To this day I get asked things like do your cheeks ever get sore and all sorts of other comments, Some nice and some not but it doesn't matter because smiling makes me feel good and hopefully makes most feel appreciated and accepted. 
  • Random note of appreciation- It could be someone you see working hard at work or reconnecting with an old friend through social media or handing one of your best friends or even a total stranger a hand written note.
  • Compliment others-Everyone enjoys hearing an unexpected compliment. Try to point out something good about the people around you.


No comments:

Post a Comment